Saturday, July 14, 2007

Butterfly Bricks and Mystery Stole




Okay, the Butterfly Bricks quilt is a shot I took in Houston, Texas last November when I went to the big quilt show there. I took a bus tour to a grand estate that was owned by Ima Hogg. The gardens are probably lovely in the summer but they don't have many flowers in November. There is a small flower bed in the shape of a butterfly, with the sections outlined in brick--this is a small portion of it. I quickly made the quilt, but then realized the gray tones were a bit boring. So recently, I overpainted the bricks with irridescent watercolor paint in an orange tint. I think it helps...it is just very slightly shiny.

The other picture is my Mystery Stole, I just finished Clue 3 today! I am using an overdyed perle cotton thread. The stole starts with a point, so I can assume it will end with a point--but until all the clues are published, who knows???

2 comments:

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

Marina, you are correct about the spring at Bayou Bend. It is covered with azaleas and camellias. At the northwest entrance there is a year round rose garden.

marina said...

I would have loved to have seen inside the house, too. And the ravine full of greenery was lovely--I am sure it is gorgeous in the spring when everything is blooming.