Thursday, October 04, 2007

Victoria and Albert Museum needlework




I didn't have time to see much needlework in London, but I did take these shots at the Victoria and Albert Museum. The first is a lovely piece of embroidery called "Fantasy" by Rebecca Crompton, 1936. According to the label, "She was an influential educator and one of Britain's leading exponents of free, creative machine embroidery. Her control of the machine was such that she could create embroideries of great subtlety." I didn't make notes about the other two, but isn't that knitted lace shawl stunning? And I loved the old hand knitted socks in the third photo.

1 comment:

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

I have so enjoyed the account of your stitching journey through England. The V & A musuem is a treasure trove of information.... as is our Bailey!
Best wishes
Maggie